Calm River Cruises
Public transport to Franklin is easy.
You can study bus timetable here and plan your day out.
Tassielink: Hobart – Huon Valley.
Pick up Franklin Square Hobart
Rout 718/719 Hobart – Geeveston/Dover
goes through Franklin.
NB! Any route Hobart – Cygnet, you must catch a taxi from Huonville to Franklin (10 min drive) Huon Valley Taxi 0408 125 130
Keep in mind the nice places to visit in Franklin.
Park next to the Wooden Boat Centre in Franklin. If you come early, take a look inside at the displays and a guided tour through the workshop.
Wait at the start of or on the jetty and we’ll guide you on board. There is a sturdy gangway and a couple of steps to the deck, so it is easy for all ages to get on board safely.
Our daily cruises stay within the peaceful Huon River, so sea sickness is unusual. If you are particularly prone to seasickness we recommend taking ginger tablets an hour before the cruise commences.
This is Tasmania. The weather is always perfect. Do not bring an umbrella!
In summer wear shorts or jeans with short sleeves, sandals or sports shoes, and a wind/rain-proof jacket in case it gets cool later in the day. Consider hat and sunscreen. In winter bring your full Antarctic storm gear.
Calm Water Cruises:
- In case of cancellation by the ship owner, all received payments will be refunded.
- In case of cancellation by passenger, following fees applies:
- Cancellation within 24 hours of a cruise – 100% fee.
- Cancellation within 48 hours of a cruise – 50% fee.
- Cancellations beyond 48 hours of a cruise – No fee.
Drive to Franklin – park at the carpark next to the Wooden Boat Centre, or take the bus from Hobart – see the timetable at tassielink
All food is prepared fresh on board the Yukon – including any seafood gathered during the trip. You are welcome to help with preparation and cleanup. If you have any special dietary requirements, allergies – please let us know when you make your booking and we will be happy to accommodate you.
While it may get “lumpy” in the open ocean we do our best to make the trip as comfortable as possible. The ocean traverse to Port Davey is taken during daylight, and once in Port Davey it is very sheltered and normally calm. If you usually use a seasickness medication please bring it with you.
The Tasmania climate is quite variable in temperature especially on the water. It’s important to have the ability to add layers of clothing to keep warm and equally important to be able to shed them just as quickly. The sun is intense and UV levels are some of the highest in the country.
Shirts and T-shirts are the normal dress, with bare feet. Bring sturdy shoes for exploring onshore and jeans and long sleeves. Beanie, peaked cap. Rain jacket, water proof pants. We will provide a detailed “what to bring list” once you booked on one of the overnight cruises.
Extract from the contracts terms and conditions.
- The agreement is binding when Yukon receives the signed contract and 1/3 of the full price has been paid as a deposit.
- The remaining amount (2/3 of the full price) must be paid at the latest 30 days before embarkation.
Cancellation from voyage crew side:
- If cancellation is made earlier than at least 30 days before embarkation date, the remaining amount will be refunded.
- If cancellation is made 30 days or less before embarkation date, the full price will be withheld by Yukon-Tours.
In case of cancellation by the ship owner before the start of the cruise all received payments will be refunded.
In case of cancellation by the customer at any time the above mentioned initial payment will not be refunded.